because life needs a soundtrack..

because life needs a soundtrack..

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Daughters

So.. this is what 12 year old girls are listening to these days...

Hang on, let me back-track for a sec.  About 4 years ago I started a little tradition with my daughter.  I secretly made up a mix of songs and burnt them to a CD for her birthday. I designed artwork for the cover and labelled it the R-G (not her full name obvs) Birthday Mix 2007, Volume 1 and 2.  On the CDs were songs she sang along to on the radio or my Ipod, songs by artists I thought she would like and some extras just to mix it up a bit.

What can I say, the CDs were a huge hit.  And the next year when I did it again and she realised this was going to be an ongoing event, the hit became huger (or whatever word you wanna put there.  Needless to say, it was big, people).  Soon my daughter was putting in requests for particular songs and I was walking around with a mix of smugness over choosing the ultimate (yet dirt cheap) personalised present and joy at the excitement the whole shebang gave her.

Somewhere along the line I decided that age 8 was the perfect start time for this tradition so in December this year my son will get his first Birthday Mix.  My daughter, bless her, has been geeing him up for the significance of this event.  She has been explaining, to much excitement from her brother, the process "Mum will be listening to you sing in the car and she may ask you if you like that song and then she will find some brand new songs that she just knows you will love and then she chucks in some surprises and you can also ask for certain songs to go on there but she may or may not put them on".  (I particularly love the last bit because with the exception of songs that either I a) deem to have just that bit too much swearing or b) can't bear to listen to on high rotation until the novelty wears off, the main reason I "may or may not put them on there" is usually because I plain forgot that she asked for them!)

My kids have been raised in a very eclectic musical environment so some of their choices may surprise you.  So far my son has requested AC/DC, (In fact he requested "all the songs I like on that CD of theirs Mum, you know, Black Ice?" To which I thought, what, you want their actual CD, isnt that missing the point of a mix CD you frustrating bugger and simultaneously thought, what that totally crap CD? but actually just murmured an "mm hmm" reply and resolved to "may not put that one on") plus Jamie T and Puddle of Mud.  Annoyingly, he also requested that "Billionaire" song. Dammit!

I will post my son's mix later in the year but for now, here is my daughter's.  Happy Birthday Ri Ri xx
 
SongArtist
1. Bring Night                 Sia
2. Beautiful Dangerous                Slash feat Fergie
3. Mr Mysterious                          Vanessa Amarosi (the only song she actually requested)
4. Love the Way you Lie                Eminem/Rihanna (I was a little bit uneasy about including this one due to the theme)
5. Baby I'm Getting Better            Gyroscope
6. I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman  K-OS (a song which has nothing to do with Natalie Portman)
7. You've Changed                   Sia (are you getting that I'm on a Sia kick, that girl rocks!)
8. Airplanes                                    BoB (stupidest name ever but my girl loves this one)
9. Bang Bang Bang                         Mark Ronson
10. Shot Caller          Ian Carey
11. You Got the Love                     Florence & The Machine
12. Dance the Way I Feel              Ou Est Le Swimming Pool
13. Sunday Best                             Washington
14. Cousins                                   Vampire Weekend
15. Dominos                                 The Big Pink
16. Truth                                        Chiddy Bang
17. Symphonies                               Dan Black feat Kid Cudi
18. I Alone (Live at the Paradiso)    Live
19. All is Love                               Karen O and The Kids
20. Only Girl in the World               Rihanna (the first song of hers I have liked since "Please don't Stop the Music, a song which always reminds me of my man dancing at his cousin's wedding)
21. Dog Days                                 Florence & The Machine
22. Check It Out (Radio Mix)          will.i.am (slaughtering the Video Killed the Radio Star sample and one of the most annoying songs on radio. I threw this one in just to feel like a good Mum, giving her daughter something she liked and I hated)
23. Clap Your Hands                      (yep, you guessed it) Sia
24. Fast Girl                                    Gyroscope
25. DJ Got us Falling In Love         Usher (refer my comments for Check it Out)
26. Magic                                      BoB and Rivers Cuomo (what, are Weezer not paying enough Rivers?)
27. Paradise City                           Slash/Fergie/Cypress Hill (love this version)
28. Billionaire                                 (that dude who used to harmonise with Katy Perry) Travie McCoy
29. Rock It                                   Little Red
30. Raise Your Glass                     P!nk (continuing her whoa lets party theme)
31. The Bike Song                         Mark Ronson
32. Freefallin                                 Zoe Badwi (try getting this song out of your head)
33. Coin Laundry                          Lisa Mitchell
34. For the First Time                    The Script (a song and a band I absolutely loathe)
35. More than a Feeling                  Boston (the doofed up version)


So, there you go. What 12 year old girls are listening to these days.  (just be grateful I didn't post the tragic 2008 mix which consisted of Chris Brown, Rihanna, Pussycat Dolls and that Gaga woman!)

No comments:

Post a Comment